NURS 8300: Organizational and Systems Leadership for Quality Improvement | Week 6
It may seem a strange principle to enunciate as the very first requirement in a Hospital that it should do the sick no harm.
Health care delivery organizations continue to strive to improve quality of care and patient safety. You have explored how health care utilizes theories and philosophies from business to accomplish this important task. This week builds on that foundational awareness with a focus on quality improvement models and the strategies and tools utilized with these models. Using this type of model can assist DNP-prepared nurses with identifying problems within the organization that are impacting patient outcomes.
We will write a custom paper on
NURS 8300 Week 6: Organizational and Leadership Strategies to Improve Patient Safety and Quality
specifically for you
This week, you critique quality improvement models and tools utilized within the models, such as cause and effect diagrams, control charts and histograms. You apply this knowledge in an authentic setting by planning a quality improvement project.
By the end of this week, you will be able to:
- Apply a quality improvement model that utilizes tools and strategies to address a real problem within your practice setting
- Evaluate tools, methods, and strategies for successful improvement of patient safety and other quality dimensions in health care
Discussion: Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Evaluation
A health care organization may have highly qualified doctors and nurses who meet quality indicators for technical quality; however, due to a lack of communication, empathy, and scheduled office hours, patient satisfaction is low. In the corporate world, the phrase “the customer is always right” is frequently used to emphasize the importance of meeting the needs and expectations of the consumer. How does this approach apply to health care?
Health care industries are now using quality improvement models that are very business-centric to improve the quality of care delivery, patient satisfaction, and safety. In this Discussion, you evaluate various quality improvement models and determine which model would best be applied in your practice setting to address a specific need. You also develop a mission statement for addressing the practice problem.
- Reflect on the various quality improvement models and their application in health care presented in the Learning Resources.
- Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of each model.
- Consider how these metrics facilitate change and improve the management of chronic disease.
- Consider how these models have been, or could be, applied in your practice setting.
- Based on your selected area of need, define a practice problem and create a corresponding mission statement.
- Investigate baseline data, and evaluate why this practice problem is a priority for improvement. Ask yourself: How does this practice problem in my organization compare to other organizations?
By Day 3
Post a cohesive response that addresses the following:
- Summarize any practice problem relevant to your setting of interest and share a potential measurable goal for a QI team. Be sure to include the data that justifies why you feel a change is needed in this specific area.
- Explain how the PDSA model might be applied , giving specific reasoning as to why this model best fits the needs of your practice problem. Describe how the practice problem you describe might be of interest to any accreditation initiative.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
By Day 7
Respond to two of your colleagues in one or more of the following ways:
- Critique their suggestions for quality improvement using the theoretical frameworks and models presented.
- Offer one positive response that highlights how a colleagues’ chosen model works to improve the quality at their practice setting.
- Offer one alternative quality framework that you feel could better solve a colleagues’ chosen problem.
- Apply your own experience to a colleagues’ identified problem. How did your practice setting work to improve quality in that area?
Return to this Discussion in a few days to read the responses to your initial posting. Note what you learned and/or any insights you gained as a result of the comments made by your colleagues.
Be sure to support your work with specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and any additional sources.
3 Simple steps to get your paper done
| Place Order|| Down to work|| Paper is Ready! |
Takes just a few minutes!
Best writer takes the order
Access via your account