Just as theory underpins nursing practice, so too does theory support and inspire educational practice. Educational theories provide nurse educators with a unique lens for the development and evaluation of learning experiences. As a nurse educator, it is imperative that you become familiar with the theories that will help to drive your curriculum.
In this week’s Discussion, you explore three* pedagogies that are well known in the field of education: andragogy, Gagne’s Nine Events of Instruction, and constructivism. Though andragogy and constructivism are essentially theories of learning and Gagne’s Nine Events of Instruction is thought to be a model of learning, each is also referred to as pedagogy, or the practice and science of teaching.
· Review Chapter 2, “Theoretical Basis of E-Learning,” and Chapter 3, “Instructional Design for E-Learning in Nurse Education,” of the Bristol and Zerwekh course text. Reflect on the ways nurse educators use pedagogies to guide the development of curricula.
· Search the Internet to locate a learning experience that adheres to the following guidelines:
o The learning experience is described in detail through a step-by-step Lesson Plan, lesson summary, or an online video.
o The learning experience is representative of nursing curriculum (i.e., the lesson teaches a technical skill or concept that could be beneficial to nursing students, staff, or patients).
o You are able to share the learning experience with colleagues via a Word Document, PDF, hyperlink, or another method.
· Search the Walden Library as well as other reputable sites to locate one scholarly article related to the use of your assigned pedagogy. Consider how your article and your assigned pedagogy are applicable to the education of nursing students, staff, and/or patients. Conduct further research as needed.
· Examine your selected learning experience through the lens of your assigned pedagogy.
o Is this pedagogy implicitly or explicitly used in this lesson?
o If you were the instructor, how might you integrate (or further include) this pedagogy to enhance the learning experience?
Questions to be addressed in my paper:
1. A brief description of the learning experience that you found online.
2. Identify your assigned pedagogy which is the andragogy and explain whether/how it was evident throughout this lesson.
3. Describe at least one way that you might use the andragogy to enhance the learning experience. Justify your response by citing references to your selected scholarly article. At the close of your post, provide an APA citation* for both your article and learning experience.
*Attach a Word Document or PDF of your selected learning experience if you are unable to provide a stable hyperlink in your APA citation.
1) 1-2 pages (addressing the 3 questions above excluding the title page and reference page).
2) Kindly follow APA format for the citation and references! References should be between the period of 2011 and 2016. Please utilize the references at least three below as much as possible and the rest from yours.
3) Make headings for each question.
Bradshaw, M. J., & Lowenstein, A. J. (2014). Innovative teaching strategies in nursing and related health professions (6th ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
- Chapter 1, “Effective Learning: What Teachers Need to Know”
Many factors contribute to effective learning. Chapter 1 introduces these factors, as well as a comprehensive description of key learning theories and learning principles that nurse educators should take into account when developing learning activities.
- Chapter 6, “The Teaching-Learning Experience from a Generational Perspective”
This chapter explains the similarities, differences, and unique characteristics of each of the generations represented in today’s health care settings. It also provides generational considerations for educators.
- Chapter 9, “Lecture: Long-lasting, Logical, and Legitimate”
The effectiveness of lectures, once a cornerstone in the teaching-learning process, has recently come under much debate. The author of this text explains why and how lectures should continue to be used in all learning environments. In addition, the author uses concepts such as andragogy and learning styles to provide authentic rationale for the use of lectures.
Bristol, T. J., & Zerwekh, J. (2011). Essentials of e-learning for nurse educators. Philadelphia, PA: F. A. Davis Company.
- Chapter 2, “Theoretical Basis of E-Learning” (pp. 13–23)
This chapter explores theory as a fundamental element in the teaching-learning process. The chapter also discusses key theories related to nursing and online learning, as well as the implementation of strategies derived from these theories.
- Chapter 3, “Instructional Design for E-Learning in Nurse Education” (pp. 25–54)
Chapter 3 introduces the concept of instructional design (ID). A brief historical overview of ID is given, along with effective ID models that nurse educators can use to design online nursing curriculums.
U.S. Department of Education. Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), Retrieved from http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html
Note: While not required, you may find the following resources useful as you prepare for this week’s Discussion.
Education Planet, Inc. (n.d.). Lesson planet. Retrieved January 29, 2013, from http://www.lessonplanet.com/
In the search bar of this website, you can identify a general area of interest or topic. After you select search, you will be presented with pages of lesson plans that have been bookmarked by your topic. In the left navigation bar, select higher education in the grade option. Be careful when selecting lessons, as some are misplaced and might not adhere to your topic.
MERLOT: Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching. (n.d.). Retrieved January 29, 2013, from http://www.merlot.org/merlot/index.htm
NEAT & Board of Regents, University of Wisconsin System. (2006). Nursing education and technology. Retrieved from http://webcls.utmb.edu/neat/
This website provides access to a variety of subjects and learning formats. By using the search feature and then selecting Mini Lesson, you can browse through lessons that might assist you in this week’s Discussion.
3 Simple steps to get your paper done
|Place Order||Down to work||Paper is Ready!|
Takes just a few minutes!
Best writer takes the order
Access via your account