Critiquing the validity and robustness of research featured in journal articles provides a critical foundation for engaging in evidence-based practice. In Weeks 5 and 6, you explored quantitative research designs. In Week 7, you will examine qualitative and mixed methods research designs. For this Assignment, which is due by Day 7 of Week 7, you critique a quantitative and either a qualitative or a mixed methods research study and compare the types of information obtained in each.
We will write a custom paper on
Critiquing Quantitative, Qualitative, or Mixed Methods Studies
specifically for you
- Select a health topic of interest to you that is relevant to your current area of practice. The topic may be your Course Portfolio Project or a different topic of your choice.
Using the Walden Library, locate two articles in scholarly journals that deal with your portfolio topic: (does hand washing and appropriate staff dressing among the surgical ward nurses reduce cross infection during patient management?) 1) Select one article that utilizes a quantitative research design and 2) select a second article that utilizes either a qualitative OR a mixed methods design. These need to be single studies not systematic or integrative reviews (including meta-analysis and metasynthesis). You may use research articles from your reference list. If you cannot find these two types of research on your portfolio topic, you may choose another topic.
- Locate the following documents in this week’s Learning Resources to access the appropriate templates, which will guide your critique of each article:
- Critique Template for a Qualitative Study
- Critique Template for a Quantitative Study
- Critique Template for a Mixed-Methods Study
- Consider the fields in the templates as you review the information in each article.
- Begin to draft a paper in which you analyze the two research approaches as indicated below.
- Reflect on the overall value of both quantitative and qualitative research. If someone were to say to you, “Qualitative research is not real science,” how would you respond?
To complete this Assignment:
- Complete the two critiques using the appropriate templates (see attached files).
- Write a 2- to 3-page paper that addresses the following:
- Reminder: The School of Nursing requires that all papers submitted include a title page, introduction, summary, and references. The School of Nursing Sample Paper provided at the Walden Writing Center provides an example of those required elements (available from the Walden University website found in this week’s Learning Resources). All papers submitted must use this formatting.
- Combine all three parts of this assignment into one Word document including both critique templates and the narrative with your references. Submit this combined document.
3 Simple steps to get your paper done
| Place Order|| Down to work|| Paper is Ready! |
Takes just a few minutes!
Best writer takes the order
Access via your account