For this Application, identify a clinical practice guideline developed by governmental source or professional association and write a 4-5 page paper. For example, you may select a problem from the National Guideline Clearinghouse as long as it is under nursing control. For instance, reducing the risk of infection is under nursing control, while the type of surgery performed for a patient problem is not under the control of nursing.
We will write a custom paper on
Evidence Based Nursing
specifically for you
Below is a list of topics; however, you may select another problem that is of interest to you.
· Pain management (SD)
· Pressure ulcers
· Wrong side surgery
· Fall risk assessment
· Restraint use
· Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)
· Methicillin Resistant Staph Aureus Infections (MRSA)
· Blood incompatibility
· Air embolism
· Object left during surgery
· Vascular catheter-associated infection
· Surgical site infection
Write a 4-5-page paper in which you:
1. Write an introduction and purpose statement;
2. Identify a practice setting problem;
3. Describe the importance of the clinical problem and why it is significant to nursing practice;
4. Describe the added expectations for BSN-prepared nurses in terms of implementing evidence based practice;
5. Describe the clinical practice guideline developed by governmental source or professional association;
6. Describe the impact on patient and/or a community;
7. State the costs of this problem to the health care system;
8. Describe evidence based practice changes in nursing care that have occurred due to research.
o An example: National Guidelines Clearinghouse guidelines
Support your response with references from the professional nursing literature. References should not be older than 5years.
· Course Text: Schmidt, N. A., & Brown, J. M. (Eds.). (2012). Evidence-based practice for nurses: Appraisal and application of research. (Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
o Chapter 1, “What Is Evidence-Based Practice?”
This chapter defines evidence-based practice (EBP) as the integration of clinician expertise, patient preferences, and practice that is grounded in both theory and research evidence. The authors describe multiple ethical paths that a nurse can take to obtain evidence and improve patient care. In addition, this chapter covers barriers that might prevent the adoption of an EBP such as time or lack of resources.
o Chapter 2, “Using Evidence Through Collaboration to Promote Excellence in Nursing Practice”
Chapter 2 identifies five levels of collaboration that are essential to the promotion of EBP: individual, organizational, regional, national, and international. The chapter also discusses ethical principles, codes, and laws that aim to protect the rights of human subjects.
o Chapter 3, “Identifying Research Questions”
Nurses in practice can help determine those research questions that can lead to improved patient care and changes in practice. The process of identifying research problems and the development of EBP questions are discussed in this chapter. The authors provide guidelines for identifying research problems, narrowing the scope of a research question, and formulating a problem statement.
o Chapter 14, “Weighing In on the Evidence”
- “Clinical Practice Guidelines: Moving Ratings and Recommendations Into Practice” (pp. 376–378)
This section of Chapter 14 introduces clinical practice guidelines, which provide nurses with direction on how to incorporate research findings into their daily routines. This selection explains the evolution and use of clinical practice guidelines, which consolidate research findings and seek to resolve a specific clinical problem.
•National Guideline Clearinghouse
The National Guideline Clearinghouse’ is a database of EBP guidelines geared toward health professionals. A part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the database provides the health industry with objective, full-text guidelines, comparison tools, and Web forums, among other interactive research features.
•Agency for Healthcare and Research Quality. (2009). NGC guidelines syntheses. Retrieved from http://www.guideline.gov/syntheses/.
This section of the National Guideline Clearinghouse’ Web site provides a synthesis of EBP guidelines. A large number of these guidelines are provided for a variety of conditions ranging from Alzheimer’s disease to urinary tract infections.
•Sigma Theta Tau International: Honor Society of Nursing
Sigma Theta Tau International strives to support and disseminate research findings to improve nursing practice.
You can use any reference you want in addition to required text book and one or more reference from the websites above. Please do not use any reference older than 5 years.
3 Simple steps to get your paper done
| Place Order|| Down to work|| Paper is Ready! |
Takes just a few minutes!
Best writer takes the order
Access via your account