At various points in your career as a nurse, you have most likely observed significant problems in your practice environment(s). Take a few minutes to think about the problems you have noticed.
We will write a custom paper on
Membership in Professional Organizations
specifically for you
Through the DNP degree, candidates develop the tools needed to address practice-related concerns through evidence-based solutions. In this week’s media presentation, Dr. Beechinor and Dr. Stefan discuss this process while sharing their own DNP projects and the needs these projects addressed. Candidates in the PhD program conduct research involving a problem related to practice or another area of professional interest and, as such, often work with DNP-prepared nurses.
To support your doctoral project and growth as a scholar-practitioner, you are required to join a professional nursing organization. Membership in a professional organization offers numerous benefits, including educational endeavors, advocacy opportunities, up-to-date information of interest to the profession, and much more. Some organizations offer scholarships, continuing education units, and a means for disseminating current research findings. In addition, joining a professional organization can help you to become involved in decision making at the organizational level and provide a venue for engaging in social change efforts that benefit your community.
This week’s Assignment serves as your Major Assessment for this course. You identify a DNP project or research topic and select an organization that will facilitate or be useful to you as you engage in your doctoral project (DNP Scholarly project or dissertation research). In addition, the professional nursing organization should be relevant for your current or anticipated professional practice. You then outline plans for participation in the organization and articulate how this could help you meet your professional goals and support your project development.
- DNP students:
- Reflect on the DNP projects Dr. Beechinor and Dr. Stefan discussed in this week’s media presentation, as well as the DNP Scholarly Project specifications outlined in the AACN Essentials. Also, review the end-of-program requirements you explored for the Assignment due in Week 5.
- Consider your professional experiences in light of new information you may have encountered in this course. With this in mind, identify a need or change related to a practice environment. Please note that the objective of this activity is to increase your awareness of potential DNP projects; you are not committing to a project idea at this time.
- Consider which professional nursing organization you would like to join and how they organization relates to your identified practice need or change or research problem. How might participating in this group support the development of your DNP Scholarly Project or PhD Dissertation?
- There are numerous types of organizations that qualify as professional nursing organizations, including:
- An organization that focuses on a specific area of clinical practice (e.g., Association of Operating Room Nursing [AORN], American Holistic Nurses Association [AHNA])
- A state or national nursing organization (e.g., American Nurses Association [ANA]or Texas Nurses Association [TNA])
- An area of scholarly emphasis (e.g., American Association of Colleges of Nursing [AACN] or National League for Nursing [NLN])
- An organization that emphasizes specific groups of nurses (e.g., American Assembly for Men in Nursing [AAMN] or National Association of Hispanic Nurses [NAHN])
- After evaluating these organizations in light of your most salient professional concerns, goals, and doctoral project select one organization to join. Complete the steps necessary for joining this professional organization.
- Note: If you are already a member of a professional nursing organization, you are not required to join an additional organization; however, you need to submit documentation of your membership and complete the Assignment below.
1) 1) Write an introduction ending with a purpose statement
2) Write a 1-page paper describing a need or change related to a practice environment or a problem that is suitable for research. Include your rationale for why this situation or topic warrants attention.
3) Outline your plans for participation in the professional nursing organization, and describe how this will help you to meet your professional goals. Also, consider how the organization may correlate with or support the development of your DNP Scholarly Project in the future. (my professional organization is American Nurses Association [ANA] SEE http://www.nursingworld.org/)
4) Include a summary
5) Include documentation of your membership at the end of your Major Assessment as an Appendix. (You may copy and paste the e-mail verification of your membership, or copy your membership receipt and paste it into your Word doc.) Be sure to observe proper APA style for including appendices (See attached File)
This assignment must be written in APA format and include at least 4 references from the list below
Zaccagnini, M. E., & White, K. W. (2014). The doctor of nursing practice essentials: A new model for advanced practice nursing (2nd ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett. [Vital Source e-reader]
Chapter 10, “A Template for the DNP Scholarly Project”
This chapter discusses the AACN proposals for the DNP project. The project should address practice-based problems and propose evidence-based solutions. The DNP project is further defined with a comparison to the PhD thesis. The authors provide nine steps that should be incorporated into the structure of a DNP Scholarly Project.
American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN). (2006). The essentials of doctoral education for advanced nursing practice. Washington, DC: Author. Retrieved from https://www.aacn.nche.edu/publications/position/DNPEssentials.pdf
“Final DNP Project” (p. 20)
In this reading, the AACN provides examples of suitable DNP projects.
Walden School of Nursing. (2011). Doctor of nursing practice program manual. Minneapolis, MN: Author. Retrieved from http://ecampus.waldenu.edu/c/Student_Faculty/StudentFaculty_18625.htm
To access, click link and scroll down to Program Documents
The Walden School of Nursing program manual provides valuable information that guides you through your program.
Forsyth, D. M., Wright, T. L., Scherb, C. A., & Gaspar, P. M. (2010). Disseminating evidence-based practice projects: Poster design and evaluation. Clinical Scholars Review, 3(1), 14–21.
Note: You will access this article from the Walden Library databases.
In the health care field, DNP projects are not as available publicly as more traditional research-based thesis projects. The authors of this article propose strategies for resolving this gap in access to the literature.
Laureate Education (Producer). (2011c). The DNP project [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 6 minutes.
In this media presentation, Dr. Linda Beechinor and Dr. Susan Stefan describe their DNP projects, including the applicability of these projects to the practice environment.
Walden University Center for Research Quality. (n.d.). DNP doctoral study process and documents. Retrieved from http://researchcenter.waldenu.edu/DNP-Doctoral-Study-Program.htm
3 Simple steps to get your paper done
| Place Order|| Down to work|| Paper is Ready! |
Takes just a few minutes!
Best writer takes the order
Access via your account