Get NURS 5051 Week 8: HIT Support of Evidence-Based Practice essay assignment help
We will write a custom paper on
NURS 5051 Week 8: HIT Support of Evidence-Based Practice
specifically for you
NURS 5051/6051 Week 8: HIT Support of Evidence-Based Practice essay assignment
NURS 5051/6051: Transforming Nursing and Healthcare Through Information Technology | Week 8 essay assignment
Nurses working in the recovery room at City Hospital received many complaints from patients who were required to void prior to being released. The nurses also questioned this requirement and decided to explore current best practices based on research evidence. Using the hospital’s health information technology, they located current research indicating that City Hospital’s policy was out of date and that research evidence no longer supported this practice. As a result of accessing and utilizing health information technology to locate evidence-based research, new practice guidelines were crafted and adopted.
This week you evaluate evidence available through health information technology and consider how health information technology supports evidence-based practice.
- Evaluate evidence available through health information technology that lead to improved patient care
- Analyze how health information technology supports evidence-based practice
Discussion: Using Health Information Technology as a Source of Evidence-Based Practice essay assignment
Before the digital revolution, health information technology supplied very limited support for evidence-based practice. If nurses wanted to be informed about cutting-edge research, their best bet was to either subscribe to leading journals or make periodic trips to the library. With the establishment of research databases, however, nurses became empowered to learn about and facilitate interdisciplinary and translational research. Databases are just one example of how health information technology supports evidence-based practice.
- Read the following scenario from the text (McGonigle & Mastrian, 2018, p. 506):
Twelve-hour shifts are problematic for patient and nurse safety, and yet hospitals continue to keep the 12-hour shift schedule. In 2004, the Institute of Medicine (Board on Health Care Services & Institute of Medicine, 2004) published a report that referred to studies as early as 1988 that discussed the negative effects of rotating shifts on intervention accuracy. Workers with 12-hour shifts realized more fatigue than workers on 8-hour shifts. In another study done in Turkey by Ilhan, Durukan, Aras, Turkcuoglu, and Aygun (2006), factors relating to increased risk for injury were age of 24 or less, less than 4 years of nursing experience, working in the surgical intensive care units, and working for more than 8 hours.
- Consider how the resources identified in the scenario above could influence an organization’s practice.
- Select an issue in your practice that is of concern to you. Using health information technology, locate at least three evidence-based practice resources that address your concern and that could possibly inform further action.
By Day 3
Post a description of your practice concern. Outline how you used health information technology to locate evidence-based practices that address this concern. Cite and include insights from the resources. Analyze how health information technology supports evidence-based practice.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses. Focus particularly on those questions raised to which you can add comments based on shared experiences or situations. Consider how your colleagues’ postings reflect and/or differ from your own perceptions and opinions. Review the Learning Resources for any clarification needed before responding.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on two different days using one or more of the following approaches:
- Ask a probing question, substantiated with additional background information, evidence or research.
- Share an insight from having read your colleagues’ postings, synthesizing the information to provide new perspectives.
- Offer and support an alternative perspective using readings from the classroom or from your own research in the Walden Library.
- Validate an idea with your own experience and additional research.
- Make a suggestion based on additional evidence drawn from readings or after synthesizing multiple postings.
- Expand on your colleagues’ postings by providing additional insights or contrasting perspectives based on readings and evidence.
3 Simple steps to get your paper done
| Place Order
|| Down to work
|| Paper is Ready!
Takes just a few minutes!
Best writer takes the order
Access via your account