Get NURS 6221 Week 9: Managing Diversity in the Workplace essay assignment help
NURS 6221 Week 9: Managing Diversity in the Workplace essay assignment
NURS 6221: Managing Human Resources | Week 9 essay assignment
At the 2012 National Leadership and Education Conference, the University of California Davis Medical Center received an award for promoting diversity. The Med Center was recognized as “Best in Class” for Diversity Management and Workforce, a category that is judged based on a hospital’s efforts to recruit, retain, and promote minority individuals in the workplace.
The advantages of diversity in the workplace are noteworthy; however, diversity also adds another layer of complexity to human resource management. Diversity can bring with it wide variations in how situations are approached, interpreted, and even communicated. It can also add to the depth and richness of the workplace. When all employees are respected and contribute to discussions and problem solving, the solutions tend to be more robust and effective.
Order now for a plagiarism free nursing paper on NURS 6221 Week 9: Managing Diversity in the Workplace essay assignment
The challenge for nurse managers is to appreciate and build on the various strengths that each individual brings to the workplace while also building cohesive relationships that capitalize on the very best that each employee has to offer.
- Analyze the impact of diversity in workplaces
- Evaluate strategies nurse managers can use to mitigate diversity issues
- Analyze difficulties that work environments might pose to older workers*
- Evaluate strategies for engaging and retaining older workers*
* The Assignment related to this Learning Objective is introduced this week and submitted in Week 10.
Discussion: Diversity in the Workplace essay assignment
Creating and managing a diverse workforce is a process, not a destination.
—R. Roosevelt Thomas, Jr.
What concepts come to mind when you think of diversity? What kinds of diversity exist in your workplace? How does diversity impact communication, working relationships, productivity, and patient care?
In the workplace, focusing on differences can create divisiveness. Nurse managers should approach diversity as a way to highlight, communicate, and build on the commonalities of their workforce. Modeling this behavior can encourage appreciation for diversity and create a more positive workplace environment. When managing a diverse workforce, nurse managers should never make assumptions about an individual’s motivations, goals, or work ethic based upon personal traits such as age, gender, race, or culture. Nurse managers should strive to facilitate an inclusive environment for all.
- Review the article, “Diversity within Nursing: Effects on Nurse-Nurse Interaction, Job Satisfaction, and Turnover.” Examine Figure 1 on p. 218. Determine how these and other diversity issues might impact the interaction of nurses in the workplace.
- Consider situations in your current organization or one with which you are familiar in which obvious diversity exists. How do these types of diversity issues affect the daily work environment?
- Examine this week’s Learning Resources to identify strategies for finding commonalities among workers. How might these strategies also help to increase appreciation of diversity within the workplace?
By Day 3
Post an explanation of how diversity-related issues impact your current organization or one with which you are familiar. If you do not believe there are any issues related to diversity, explain how this workplace instills a culture of acceptance and positivity. Conclude your posting by describing at least two commonalties everyone in this workplace shares and at least one new strategy you could implement to increase appreciation of both differences and similarities.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on two different days using one or more of the following approaches:
- Appraise a colleague’s strategy by providing insight into whether or not this strategy could effectively mitigate diversity issues. Support your comments by using authentic examples and references to this week’s Learning Resources.
- Suggest an additional strategy a colleague could use to mitigate diversity issues.
3 Simple steps to get your paper done
|Place Order||Down to work||Paper is Ready!|
Takes just a few minutes!
Best writer takes the order
Access via your account