Get NURS 6241 Week 2: Mission and Vision essay assignment help
NURS 6241 Week 2: Mission and Vision essay assignment
NURS 6241: Strategic Planning in Health Care Organizations | Week 2 essay ssignment
The mission statement . . . influences the development of an organization’s philosophy, goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and rules.
An organization will never be greater than the vision that guides it.
—Bessie L. Marquis and Carol J. Huston, Leadership Roles and Management Functions in Nursing: Theory and Application
Mission and vision statements articulate an organization’s core purpose and future aims. Well-crafted statements can stand the test of time, even as the environment changes and new priorities emerge. On the other hand, some adjustments may be needed if and when an organization undergoes foundational transformation.
Consider the following mission statement: “Kaiser Permanente exists to provide affordable, high quality healthcare services to improve the health of our members and the communities we serve” (Kaiser Permanente, n.d.). Think about the current health care environment and the types of internal and external changes that could affect the utility and appropriateness of this statement. Under what circumstances should an organization such as this one contemplate revising its mission?
As a nurse leader-manager, it is critical to realize the important role of mission and vision statements in guiding an organization.
In the first week of this course, you examined the planning hierarchy. This week, you consider mission and vision statements, which are at the top of the planning hierarchy because of the significant influence they exert on an organization. You practice the skills needed to craft appropriate mission and vision statements, and you consider how to develop these for maximum impact that reaches beyond the stated words to influence the plans and decisions made throughout an organization or system.
Note: Over the next few weeks you will be engaging in small group discussions. These are meant to provide you with the opportunity to deeply explore the foundational concepts being presented. Much of the work you engage in moving forward will hinge upon your understanding of these concepts, hence, the small group opportunity to discuss and share.
Order now for a plagiarism free nursing paper on NURS 6241 Week 2: Mission and Vision essay assignment
- Analyze the relationship of mission and vision statements to the planning hierarchy within organizations
- Analyze the process of developing mission and vision statements
- Evaluate mission and vision statements
Discussion 1: The Influence of Mission and Vision on Planning essay assignment
As you read the following mission statements, think about what you might deduce about each organization:
- “Nurses advancing our profession to improve health for all,” American Nurses Association
- “The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors,” American Red Cross
- “The mission of Southwest Airlines is dedication to the highest quality of Customer Service delivered with a sense of warmth, friendliness, individual pride, and Company Spirit,” Southwest Airlines
- “To inspire hope and contribute to health and well-being by providing the best care to every patient through integrated clinical practice, education and research,” Mayo Clinic
- “Provide telehealth solutions and executive medical research management to enhance and support military healthcare and promote innovative medical technologies,” Telemedicine & Advanced Technology Research Center (TATRC)
- “Google’s mission is to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful,” Google
An organization’s mission describes its core purpose. In partnership with the organization’s vision, which communicates a future-focused direction, the mission provides a basis for planning and decision making at all levels of the organization.
For this Discussion, you compare mission and vision statements from multiple organizations and consider how these statements relate to planning.
- Review the information related to the planning hierarchy and mission and vision statements in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Research the mission and vision statements of three different types of organizations: a for-profit health care organization, a not-for-profit health care organization, and an organization outside of health care. As you examine the organizations’ mission and vision statements, consider the following:
- How effectively do the mission statements articulate the organization’s purpose?
- How effectively do the vision statements reflect future aims?
- Do the mission and vision statements convey who (which groups) the organizations serve? Do they indicate obligations to various stakeholders?
- Are the statements an appropriate length?
- What do you glean about how leaders in health care and in other industries envision and convey mission and vision?
- What do you discern about the interdisciplinary nature of crafting mission and vision statements by looking across organizations, including those outside of health care?
- Identify key insights you have gained by comparing the mission and vision statements of these three organizations.
- Consider how an organization’s mission and vision relate to the planning hierarchy. For each organization you have selected, think about how the mission and vision could or should influence planning. What elements of each mission and vision stand out as especially significant?
By Day 3
Post a comparison of the mission and vision statements of the three organizations selected. Explain how specific elements of each organization’s mission and vision statements might inform planning in that organization. Include references/links for the organizations’ mission and vision statements in your post.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
By Day 5
Respond to at least one of your colleagues using one or more of the following approaches:
- Ask a probing question, substantiated with additional background information or research.
- Share an insight from having read your colleagues’ postings, synthesizing the information to provide new perspectives.
- Validate an idea with your own experience and additional resources.
Discussion 2: Crafting a Mission and Vision for an Organization essay assignment
In Discussion 1 of this week, you examined the mission and vision statements of various organizations and considered the implications of these statements for strategic planning. In this Discussion, you apply the insights you gained to the creation of an organization’s mission and vision statements.
Your Instructor has assigned you to a small group for this Discussion.
Note: You will develop individual mission and vision statements for your initial post. Through the collegial exchange that follows, you will offer each other suggestions for refinement. You will also work in this same small discussion group in Weeks 3 and 4.
- Evaluate what you have learned thus far about the process of developing mission and vision statements.
- Reflect on the case study presented in this week’s media.
- Consider what information would help you to create rich and appropriate mission and vision statements for Mountain View Health Center, the organization featured in the case study. Conduct additional research as necessary to strengthen your understanding of the process of crafting mission and vision statements and to deepen your thinking about the organization. For instance, you may research organizations with similarities to Mountain View and examine their mission and vision statements.
- Draft a mission statement and a vision statement for Mountain View Health Center. Make the statements as clear and concise as possible. For example, you may want to write one to three sentences for the mission statement and one sentence for the vision statement.
- Consider what you have learned about the process of developing mission and vision statements.
Reminder: Develop your mission and vision statements independently, and make your initial postingbefore you view your colleagues’ postings.
By Day 5
Post a mission statement and a vision statement for Mountain View Health Center, the organization featured in the case study. Offer insights you have gained about the process of developing your mission and vision statements.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses. Consider the following:
- Are the mission and vision statements specific to and relevant for the organization?
- Could these statements be implemented?
- Are the statements an appropriate length, and do they include the appropriate amount of detail?
- Are they clearly written?
- How well do the statements relate to the other aspects of planning (e.g., stakeholders, environment, time frame)?
By Day 7
Respond to at least one of your colleagues, noting the strengths and weaknesses of the mission and vision statements, explaining potential implications of these strengths and weaknesses for planning, and suggesting opportunities for refinement. Note: Try to ensure that all postings have a response.
3 Simple steps to get your paper done
|Place Order||Down to work||Paper is Ready!|
Takes just a few minutes!
Best writer takes the order
Access via your account