Get NURS 6331 Week 11: Competency-Based Learning essay assignment help
NURS 6331 Week 11: Competency-Based Learning essay assignment
NURS 6331: Teaching Learning Strategies: Integrating Technology Into Nursing Education | Week 11 essay assignment
To ensure that nurses can respond to the changing needs of society, nursing education is guided by the competency standards and expectations of academic and professional nursing organizations. In fact, as you will explore this week, organizations such as QSEN, AACN, and NLN have a large impact on the development of nursing curricula. As a nurse educator, how might you integrate competencies into your curriculum? Furthermore, what does it mean to promote competency-based learning?
This week, you explore the standards and competencies nurse educators address when developing and revising nursing curriculum.
- Critique lesson plans for the presence of nursing competencies
Discussion: Using Competency Sets to Critique Lesson Plans essay assignment
Graduate nursing education advances innovation and strengthens the leadership needed to improve healthcare delivery. Education at this level incorporates the foundational knowledge, skills, and competencies needed to thrive in increasingly complex clinical environments. Nursing education is undergoing major change as the profession conceptualizes master’s education and transitions advanced practice education to the doctoral level via Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) programs. Calls to reduce healthcare costs, persistent concerns about patient safety and the quality of care, and dramatic increases in diagnostic, therapeutic, and educational technologies all demand new thinking around the nature of graduate nursing education.
—American Association of Colleges in Nursing
Though the above quote focuses specifically on graduate nursing education, Schools of Nursing around the United States are adapting both undergraduate and graduate programs to emphasize a stronger focus on evidence-based nursing competencies. At the departmental level, this process takes much time and collaboration. Curriculum teams comprised of nurse educators, field experts, and instructional design professionals meet with schools of nursing to revamp existing curriculum plans to the competencies needed of today’s and tomorrow’s nursing students.
On a smaller scale, nurse educators are also implementing quick and effective strategies to align their current courses to evolving nursing competencies. By critiquing lessons before, during, and after instruction, nurse educators are able to assess their alignment to competency sets.
In this Discussion, you critique one of your own Lesson Plans to a competency set of your choosing.
- Review the article, “Integrating the Institute of Medicine Competencies in a Baccalaureate Curricular Revision: Process and Strategies.” Consider how and why the nursing program adapted its curriculum to emphasize Institute of Medicine competencies.
- Review the competencies presented in this week’s Learning Resources. In addition, reflect on the competencies that you might be familiar with through your own studies and professional background. How do competencies help to guide academic and professional practice?
- Review the Lesson Plans that you have developed in this course. Select one to further investigate for this Discussion.
- Critique your lesson using a competency set. For example, if your Lesson Plan addresses interprofessional collaboration and your intended audience of learners is Master’s students, you might critique your Lesson Plan using QSEN indicators. As you conduct your critique, identify specific competencies addressed in your lesson. Then, consider ways that you might modify your lesson to prompt a deeper understanding of nursing competencies.
By Day 3
Post a brief description of your lesson and the competency set that you selected. Explain how your lesson engaged learners in one or more competencies. Explain whether your lesson should be modified to include a deeper understanding of these competencies and why. Support your response by including references to your lesson, your own experiences, and this week’s Learning Resources.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on two different days using one or more of the following approaches:
- Share an insight from having read your colleagues’ postings, synthesizing the information to provide new perspectives.
- Offer and support an alternative perspective using readings from the classroom or from your own research in the Walden Library.
3 Simple steps to get your paper done
|Place Order||Down to work||Paper is Ready!|
Takes just a few minutes!
Best writer takes the order
Access via your account