Get NURS 6401 Week 8: The Standardization of Health Care Terminologies essay assignment help
NURS 6401 Week 8: The Standardization of Health Care Terminologies essay assignment
NURS 6401: Informatics in Nursing and Healthcare | Week 8 essay assignment
Across health care settings, many different terms are used to describe the same or similar conditions. For example, a bed sore may alternatively be called a pressure sore, a pressure ulcer, or a decubitus ulcer. While it may be fairly manageable for a nurse to make the connection among these terms, the same cannot be said for a computer system. Nurses have the ability to reason and reflect upon their clinical knowledge. Computer systems are linear, relying on user input to output information. When diverse terms are used, systems are unable to make the connections between the data. For this reason, the health care industry is vigorously moving towards the standardization of terminologies.
Order now for a plagiarism free nursing paper on NURS 6401 Week 8: The Standardization of Health Care Terminologies essay assignment
This week, you explore the inconsistencies among health care terminologies. You also take a quiz to increase your awareness of terminology differences.
- Evaluate a terminology set using James Cimino’s desiderata
- Analyze patient-centered technologies
- Evaluate how patient-centered technologies can influence health management
- Apply concepts to nursing terminologies
Discussion: James Cimino’s Desiderata essay assignment
Desiderata is a Latin word that translates to “something that is wanted or needed.” It is obvious that James Cimino had this translation in mind when he created his “Desiderata for Controlled Medical Vocabularies.” In his work, Cimino outlines 12 desiderata he believes the health care community should consider when constructing medical vocabularies. He also highlights the need to control the vocabulary used within terminology sets, as well as the requirements for doing so.
For electronic health records (EHR) and clinical decision support systems (CDS) to truly be successful, Cimino, along with many other health care professionals, expresses the vital need to standardize and control the terminology being used in health care settings.
For this Discussion, you will use one of Cimino’s desiderata (or themes) to critically appraise a nursing terminology set:
Cimino’s 12 themes for the 21st century:
- Vocabulary content
- Concept orientation
- Concept permanence
- Nonsemantic concept identifiers
- Formal definitions
- Reject NEC “Not Elsewhere Classified”
- Multiple granularities
- Multiple consistent views
- Representing context
- Graceful evolution
- Recognize redundancy
- Review the article “Desiderata for Controlled Medical Vocabularies in the Twenty-First Century” in this week’s Learning Resources. Consider how each theme aims to control the vocabulary used by nursing terminologies.
- Reflect on prominent standardized nursing terminologies sets, such as NIC, SNOMED, SABA, NANDA, and NOC. How might these terminologies compare to the requirements outlined in Cimino’s 12 themes?
- Select one nursing terminology set and one of Cimino’s themes to further examine. Does the terminology align with the requirements of this theme? Why or why not?
By Day 3
Post a brief description of the nursing terminology set and theme you selected. Explain whether this terminology aligns with the requirements and why. Provide terminology and vocabulary examples to support your answer.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on two different days using one or more of the following approaches:
- Find a colleague who chose the same terminology as you and provide a comparison of your findings.
- Find a colleague who chose the same theme as you and critically appraise their use of the theme requirements.
3 Simple steps to get your paper done
|Place Order||Down to work||Paper is Ready!|
Takes just a few minutes!
Best writer takes the order
Access via your account