Get NURS 6401 Week 9: Facilitating Successful Informatics Implementations essay assignment help
NURS 6401 Week 9: Facilitating Successful Informatics Implementations essay assignment
NURS 6401: Informatics in Nursing and Healthcare | Week 9 essay assignment
Despite the best efforts of nurse informaticists, systems sometimes fail when integrated into the inner workings of a health care setting. To better understand the reasons for this, reflect back to an occasion when you had to learn a new technology. This could include a time when your organization switched e-mail clients, when you bought a new phone, or when you upgraded the GPS in your car. What were your initial reactions to this experience? For many, these feelings might present a mixture of excitement and frustration. Excitement for the capabilities and features of this new technology, yet frustration due to the time it takes to learn the intricacies of this new format. If time progresses and you are still not able to navigate the system, your frustration begins to increase, while your excitement begins to wane.
In a work environment, feelings of frustration become multiplied when others around you are expressing the same discontent. The effectiveness of the implementation then becomes challenged by various factors associated with staff emotion. It is imperative that nurse informaticists employ leadership strategies that can mitigate the chances of these challenges.
This week, you examine the factors that may present challenges during informatics implementations. You also explore how nurse informaticists can use the ANCC Magnet model to lead their settings through successful implementations.
- Analyze factors that may present challenges during informatics implementations
- Evaluate the use of the ANCC Magnet model during informatics implementations
Discussion: Overcoming Factors That Impact Informatics Initiatives essay assignment
Adequate technology and an understanding of that technology are necessary, but they are not enough for a successful [informatics] implementation … Researchers and others involved in [informatics] implementations have found that people skills such as leadership, communication, and training are absolutely essential.
—Fenton, Giannangelo, & Stanfill, 2006
A nurse informaticist must always remember that he or she is not leading an information technology project; but rather a clinical project using information technology tools. What exactly does that mean? It means that the technology is a tool to enhance the quality, efficiency, and safety of the organization. The phrase “clinical project” also highlights the main focus of implementation efforts: the clinicians or nurses using the tool. By overlooking the “people” side of the implementation, an organization might be put at risk of experiencing one or more of the factors that challenge the success of informatics initiatives.
In this Discussion, you identify factors that can impact an informatics implementation. You also explore how you might use the ANCC Magnet model to overcome such challenges.
- Review the media, The Nurse Informatics Leader, presented in this week’s Learning Resources. How can nurses apply leadership strategies to facilitate change during informatics initiatives?
- Select one of the factors presented in this week’s Learning Resources: organizational culture, organizational change management, or nursing leadership skills. How might this factor contribute to challenges experienced during an informatics implementation?
- Review Chapter 31, “The Magnet Model,” of the course text Essentials of Nursing Informatics. Consider how a nurse informaticist could use a component of the ANCC Magnet model to address your selected factor.
By Day 3
Post the factor you selected and explain how inattention to this factor might present challenges during an informatics implementation and why. Identify which component of the ANCC Magnet model might be the most appropriate in helping nurse informaticists address this factor. Justify your response.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on two different days using one or more of the following approaches:
- Ask a probing question, substantiated with additional background information, evidence, or research.
- Share an insight from having read your colleagues’ postings, synthesizing the information to provide new perspectives.
- Validate an idea with your own experience and additional research.
- Make a suggestion based on additional evidence drawn from readings or after synthesizing multiple postings.
3 Simple steps to get your paper done
|Place Order||Down to work||Paper is Ready!|
Takes just a few minutes!
Best writer takes the order
Access via your account