Get NURS 6501 Week 9: Endocrine System essay assignment help
We will write a custom paper on
NURS 6501 Week 9: Endocrine System
specifically for you
NURS 6501 Week 9: Endocrine System essay assignment
NURS 6501: Advanced Pathophysiology | Week 9
Disorders of the endocrine system have a significant impact on the body. Consider the effects of unmanaged diabetes. Kali Collins, a 10-year-old Colorado girl, helped prevent a potentially fatal accident after her mother, Erin Bolefahr, went into diabetic shock while behind the wheel. After Erin began driving erratically, Kali phoned for help. Police were able to locate the vehicle and provide medical care to an unresponsive Erin (Huffington Post, 2012). If Erin’s diabetes had been properly managed, her daughter would have never been in such immediate danger. This case emphasizes the importance of properly identifying, treating, and managing diabetes. With diabetes and its associated alterations presenting serious medical complications, it is essential for advanced practice nurses to have a strong understanding of this endocrine disorder. In the clinical setting, patients with diabetes and other endocrine disorders will require extensive patient education and supervised care.
This week you examine the pathophysiology of diabetes. You also explore the impact of patient factors on the disorder.
Kali Collins, 10-year-old Colo. girl, saves family by calling 911 when mom goes into diabetic shock while driving. (2012, March 6). Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/06/kali-collins-10-years-old_n_1323056.html
- Compare the pathophysiology of diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus
- Evaluate the impact of patient factors on diabetes
- Understand and apply key terms, concepts, and principles related to alterations of the endocrine system
Discussion: Diabetes essay assignment
According to the American Diabetes Association (2011), 25.8 million children and adults have been diagnosed with diabetes in the United States. Approximately 2 million more are diagnosed every year, with another 79 million people considered to be in a pre-diabetes state. These millions of people are at risk of several alterations, including heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, neuropathy, and blindness. Since diabetes has a major impact on the health of millions of people around the world, it is essential for nurses to understand the pathophysiology and associated alterations of this disorder. In this Discussion, you compare two types of diabetes—diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus.
- Review Chapter 19 in the Huether and McCance text and Chapter 18 in the Hammer and McPhee text. Identify the pathophysiology of diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus. Consider the similarities and differences between resulting alterations of hormonal regulation.
- Select two of the following patient factors: genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, or behavior. Think about how the factors you selected might impact the diagnosis and prescription of treatment for these two types of diabetes.
By Day 3
Post an explanation of the pathophysiology of diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus. Describe the differences and similarities between resulting alterations of hormonal regulation. Then explain how the factors you selected might impact the diagnosis and prescription of treatment for these two types of diabetes.
Note: For this Discussion, you are required to complete your initial post before you will be able to view and respond to your colleagues’ postings. Begin by clicking on the “Post to Discussion Question” link and then select “Create Thread” to complete your initial post. Remember, once you click on Submit, you cannot delete or edit your own posts, and you cannot post anonymously. Please check your post carefully before clicking on Submit!
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on two different days who selected different factors than you, in one or more of the following ways:
- Share insights on how the factor you selected impacts the pathophysiology of diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus.
- Offer alternative diagnoses and prescription of treatment options for diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus.
- Validate an idea with your own experience and additional research.
3 Simple steps to get your paper done
| Place Order
|| Down to work
|| Paper is Ready!
Takes just a few minutes!
Best writer takes the order
Access via your account