Get NURS 6221: Fostering a Positive Workplace essay assignment help
NURS 6221 Week 7: Fostering a Positive Workplace essay assignment
NURS 6221: Managing Human Resources | Week 7 essay assignment
Victor, a nurse manager in a critical care unit at Malabar Hospital, has always felt pride in his nursing staff. On many occasions, he has been amazed at the patience they posses and the genuine care that they provide. He has also witnessed the physical and emotional drain that this high-risk environment places on each of his nurses. Victor wonders how he can positively support them through difficult times on the floor. One day, when making his rounds, Victor stops to talk with a patient named Rachelle. After spending 90 days in the critical care unit, Rachelle is finally showing signs of improvement and regaining her strength. “Thank you so much, to you and your staff, for all that you have done. I do not think your team will ever understand how much they are helping in my recovery,” said Rachelle. “I really wish there was a way I could let them know how truly grateful I am.”
After speaking with Rachelle, Victor devised a plan for how the positive feelings of patients could be shared with nursing staff. He compiled cards, stories, and video segments of patients and families expressing their gratitude. Victor then worked with the HR department to create the first annual “Alumni Day” to honor the nurses. Victor led his staff into a brightly decorated room adorned with cards and photographs of smiling families forever grateful for the nurses’ caring spirit. Victor played the video for his nurses and also had many patients share their memories in person. Alumni Day was a success, allowing each nurse to see the power behind his or her work.
Order now for a plagiarism free nursing paper on NURS 6221: Fostering a Positive Workplace essay assignment
This week, you explore how nurse managers can use their leadership skills to motivate nursing staff. You also examine how positive psychology can contribute to healthy and positive workplaces.
- Evaluate leadership strategies for building healthy workplace relationships
- Evaluate positive psychology strategies for increasing positive interactions in the workplace
- Analyze the impact of intrinsic motivators on professional fulfillment *
- Evaluate the impact of intrinsic motivators on professional performance *
Discussion: Healthy Relationships in the Workplace essay assignment
Healthy relationships form the basis for a positive workplace. When staff are engaged in their jobs, supported by one another, and feel a sense of security in their work, healthy relationships among staff members will flourish. Nurse managers can assess the workplace for healthy relationships by observing the interactions among staff members. Are trust, respect, and collegiality evident, or might some staff members display toxic or dysfunctional behaviors toward one another? When toxic or dysfunctional behaviors are evident even among the smallest cohort of staff, nurse managers must take steps to foster positive interactions. In fact, all other efforts to establish a positive workplace will likely fall short if they are not built on the foundation of healthy interpersonal relationships.
In this Discussion, you examine the interactions between employees at your current organization or one with which you are familiar. You also explore positive psychology, a theory of well-being that has helped many workplaces to increase positivity and foster healthy relationships among staff members.
- Review Chapter 2, “Cultivating the Leadership Relationship” in the course text, From Management to Leadership: Strategies for Transforming Health Care. Examine how leaders cultivate healthy relationships among all staff members.
- Review the article, “Using Positive Psychology to Engage Your Staff during Difficult Times.” How can positive psychology foster healthy workplace relationships and increase staff engagement?
- Reflect on the interactions you see in your own organization or in one with which you are familiar. What relationships do you observe across different job categories, such as RNs, LPNs, techs, and nursing assistants? Do relationship disparities exist between shifts, departments, or members of different disciplines, such as nursing staff and physicians?
- Identify environments where unhealthy relationships most commonly occur. What leadership strategies might you use to build healthy relationships among these specific staff members? Furthermore, how could you apply positive psychology to increase positivity in this environment?
By Day 3
Post an explanation of at least two leadership strategies you could implement to build healthy relationships among staff members in the workplace you selected. Cite specific examples in your explanation by identifying the staff members you would target and explaining how your strategies would foster healthy interactions among these staff members. In addition, suggest at least one positive psychology strategy you could employ to increase the ratio of positive to negative interactions in your workplace; explain your rationale.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on two different days using one or more of the following approaches:
- Validate an idea with your own experience and additional research.
- Share a strategy your health care setting used to build healthy workplace relationships.
- Provide additional insights into how positive psychology could help to increase positivity in a colleague’s workplace.
Assignment: The Impact of Intrinsic Motivation essay assignment
Reflect for a moment on your nursing career. About what are you most passionate? When do you feel you are at your best? What brings you the greatest satisfaction in your work? Positive feelings in the workplace are usually fueled by intrinsic motivators: healthy relationships, meaningful purpose, competence, choice, and progress. As a nurse manager, it is helpful to recognize what motivates you to perform well in your own job. You should also take time to understand the motivations of employees. By speaking to staff about their interests and professional goals, nurse managers can build relationships and thus provide appropriate motivators.
For this Assignment, you examine your personal work experiences to determine which of the five intrinsic motivators are more influential in shaping your positive feelings about the workplace.
- Reflect on your work history, from your first job to your current employment.
- Select one time period or situation in which you felt professionally happy, motivated, and fulfilled in your job. What do you remember most about this time period? What are, or were, the various personal and professional factors that helped to shape these feelings?
- Select one time period or situation in which you felt professionally unhappy, disengaged, and unfulfilled in your job. What do you remember most about this time period? What are, or were, the various personal and professional factors that caused these feelings?
- Review the selected pages from Chapter 7, “Coaching and Developing Others” in the course text,From Management to Leadership: Strategies for Transforming Health Care. Consider the potential influence of the five intrinsic motivators during your chosen time period or situation.
- Which intrinsic motivators seem to resonate more with your own perceptions of job fulfillment?
- Which motivators do you believe have greater influence on your professional well-being?
- Review the media, “Fostering a Positive Workplace.” How can nurse leaders use their awareness of the five motivators to engage and retain nursing staff?
NURS 6221: Fostering a Positive Workplace
By Day 7 of Week 8
Submit a 3- to 5-page paper in which you do the following:
- Appraise a time when you have felt professionally fulfilled. Describe the setting, your job title, and the roles and responsibilities in which you were engaged. Identify your own key intrinsic motivators and explain how these were evident in this situation. Cite specific examples.
- Appraise a time when you have felt professionally unfulfilled. Describe the setting, your job title, and the roles and responsibilities in which you were engaged. Explain the motivator(s) that were absent and how this impacted your professional performance. Cite specific examples.
- Discuss how you, as a nurse manager, might implement organization- or department-wide changes that would create an environment that engages staff through one or more intrinsic motivators.
3 Simple steps to get your paper done
|Place Order||Down to work||Paper is Ready!|
Takes just a few minutes!
Best writer takes the order
Access via your account