Get NURS 6341 Week 3: Quality and Safety Education for Nurses essay assignment help
NURS 6341 Week 3: Quality and Safety Education for Nurses essay assignment
NURS 6341: Specialty in Clinical Nursing | Week 3 essay assignment
“I was to give Synthroid IV to a woman who was hypothyroid… I thought it was a very large dose… [and] had this icky feeling that it wasn’t right… It was an error. I had given the woman three times the amount of the drug that was intended… She came through it…, but I will never give the wrong dose of Synthroid again. I will always check the original order and call the doctor if I have questions. I will never go against my instincts, overriding my icky feeling that this is not right.”
—Diane Pestolesi, from Educating Nurses, 2010, p. 100
Order now for a plagiarism free nursing paper on NURS 6341 Week 3: Quality and Safety Education for Nurses essay assignment
Take a moment to recall this incident from last week’s readings. Although nurse educator Diane Pestolesi now uses it as an example when teaching connections between clinical practice and the 3Ps, her story of a medication error is applicable to this week as well. As Pestolesi explains, she called the pharmacy to question the order, but it was not until after she administered the full dose that she consulted the patient’s chart and found directions reading one vial, not three.
Though Pestolesi’s story depicted how to successfully respond in the face of an error, the stories you read this week are of clinical errors resulting in tragic consequences. These stories help to translate the concerns of overarching quality and safety issues in clinical settings, the focus for this week.
Note: This week you view a documentary that is 53 minutes in length. You may wish to watch this documentary throughout the span of a few days or all at once. Be sure, however, to allow yourself enough time to view this media in its entirety. This week’s media will take the place of the standard required reading time.
- Evaluate organizational structures that support quality and safety
- Evaluate the practicum experience as means to further develop QSEN competencies
- Evaluate a practicum experience in the context of quality indicators
- Evaluate evidence-base of quality indicators
- Construct a detailed practicum log
Discussion: Supporting Quality and Safety Efforts in Clinical Settings essay assignment
Consider the following statements from this week’s Learning Resources. What implications might they have for advanced nurses and nurse educators?
“…[G]raduate nurses will be the future leaders in practice, administration, education, and research. Due to healthcare reform, multiple changes in the delivery of care, and the number of Americans with access to this care, the need for highly educated nurses will expand dramatically. It is essential that these nurses understand, provide leadership by example, and promote the importance of providing quality health care and outcome measurement.”
—(AACN, 2012, p. 2)
As an advanced nurse educator, you will be responsible for supporting the quality and safety standards of the organization. In preparation, consider how you can use your practicum experience to further develop your own competencies in ensuring quality and safety in health care.
In this Discussion, you share quality and safety measures from your practicum setting and goals for enhancing your own competencies.
- View this week’s media, Chasing Zero: Winning the War on Healthcare Harm. Consider the ineffective quality and safety measures highlighted throughout the documentary as well as the quality initiatives and reforms that resulted.
- With the media in mind, investigate the organizational structure in your clinical practicum setting. How are quality initiatives supported? In addition, how are the contributions of each nurse impacting these initiatives?
- Review Graduate-Level QSEN Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, and Attitudes from this week’s Learning Resources. As you consider the six areas of competency, reflect on any gaps in your own expertise.
- Select a minimum of two competencies you could continue to develop during your practicum experience, noting how the clinical setting might help to foster this growth.
By Day 3
Post an explanation of the organizational structure that supports quality and safety in your practicum setting. Identify at least two QSEN competencies you plan to further develop during your practicum experience and explain how this setting will help to foster this growth.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on two different days using one or more of the following approaches:
- Ask a probing question, substantiated with additional background information or research.
- Share an insight from having read your colleagues’ postings, synthesizing the information to provide new perspectives.
- Validate an idea with your own experience and additional resources.
3 Simple steps to get your paper done
|Place Order||Down to work||Paper is Ready!|
Takes just a few minutes!
Best writer takes the order
Access via your account